Beta


screenshot of my game

Hey!

So it's the final week of developing our game! Super exciting yet nerve-racking at the same time. This week I plan to grind on my game to get it completed. I’m actually surprised with the progress I’ve made considering I had to redo everything a few weeks ago due to some technical difficulties. 


This week, I applied more platforms and added more enemies and tried to make the game more visually appealing. I also developed different levels so whenever you’ve completed the first level you’re then automatically brought to the next level (with a higher level of difficulty). Unfortunately, I’m also extremely busy with other modules this week, therefore I wasn’t able to create a third level so I decided to just elongate the levels that I had to make the gameplay experience last a bit longer.


From the unity tutorials I watched over the past few months, I can really see an improvement in my ability to come up with innovative and creative ideas. During my process, some of the concepts I had didn’t make it into the final game or didn’t go to plan the way I wanted it to. This was either due to the lack of programming knowledge or was purposely taken out during the experimentation / iterative phase, but I’m still very satisfied with my game as it's still playable. Another plus side is that I feel like I'm going to step into semester 2 with a better understanding of how Unity operates. This was my first experience using unity ever so it was kind of overwhelming (yet exciting at the same time), but now that I've gotten to adapt myself to this new software, I can now say I’m fairly confident in my ability to create a 2D game next semester!


This week I learned the importance of playtesting. Even though I’ve playtested my game plenty of times I wanted to test my game on my family members. They said it was really fun and challenging. My cousin (who isn’t into games as much) actually wouldn’t give me back my laptop until he completed a level first haha. It was kind of funny and cool to see other people play my game. I’ve playtested my game tons of times but observing others playing my game was a cool feeling because I felt like my hard work actually paid off. I also can’t wait to play my classmates’ games next week! I think it's going to be interesting to see how their games turned out in the end!



Comments

  1. Hi Khang, just after finishing reading your blog post and it was really interesting to hear about your experiences. First off, your game looks great and seems to be full of different mechanics, such as the health and enemy mechanics. It must have taken ages to complete this game. I think it looks pretty cool and I look forward to seeing the trailer finished. Is this an action platformer game? I like the way you have two levels because that will make it a lot more repayable and give the player a sense of achievement, when they reach that second level. Anyways, it looks great so far. I look forward to seeing it completely finished. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hii, Khang!
    First of all, your game looks amaaaaaaaziiing!!!!!!! I can see there was a lot of work in there! Congrats for that!
    I know, the last days have been nerve-racking for me. Fortunately I have a big part of the modules work almost finished ~hurray!
    Do you have a sound effect in the game already? By looking at the image you added to the post I can hear a lot of “KA-BOOM!!” :D
    Your hard work really did paid off, everything looks fab!!
    Can't wait to see your game video *-* and best of luck on these last days of semester 1 :D
    LĂ­via Alencar

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment