Week 9 Reading and Writing

 

Review Graphic - eDiscover Assistant

Hey!


This week is review week! There is no reading this week and instead I will be writing about my thoughts on the module so far.


Firstly, this module is probably the best structured module this semester, in my opinion. I know when I have tasks due and as a result, I can already see an improvement in my time management. This module also allows you to catch up using extra credit tasks. I think this was a brilliant idea as students were able make up missing work or even finish the module early. At the start of the semester it was kinda stressful in terms of managing my time as this is our first year starting off the semester with online classes and it took a while to get into the “college” mindset again. I feel like there are pros and cons to working at home. Pros: I don’t need to waste time traveling to and from college and I don’t have to wake up at 6 am every morning. Cons: More difficult to communicate with people and my house is constantly loud making it hard to concentrate at times. But all and all, I am still able to get work done to my best ability!


In the beginning, the reading tasks were kind of difficult as I wasn’t use to reading in an academic style so it took longer than expected to finish the task. I usually highlight keywords or sentences that I feel are more important or relevant and work from that for my blog. It was a great idea to do the readings as a class, we were all struggling as a group and it definitely took a lot of weight off our shoulders. I wish we started earlier, but better late than never. I also suggest we do this next semester.


The readings I enjoyed were the “game design” and “game elements” as they taught me a lot about the fundamentals of games. I learned that there is no fixed definition of games, but all games have something in common which are players, goals, objectives and rules. I definitely feel like my writing skills improved over the couple of weeks. I’ve learned how to structure my sentences clearly and properly. However, my academic style of writing could be improved.


In terms of my game, I'm very happy with my progress so far. I’ve gotten through the tutorials pretty smoothly with some issues from time to time but nothing too major. The functionalities, concept and skills from the unity tutorials are simple enough to understand. The programming language can get complicated at times, but again nothing too major.


To conclude, this module is very well structured. The thing I’m most comfortable within this module is that we get to see our semester schedule planned out from start to finish. By having the schedule planned out, we are able to get an idea of what needs to be completed even before it isn’t due for a long time. The growth mindset articles I read at the beginning of the semester really helped me shape my state of mind. I’m looking forward to finishing off my game this semester and move onto the next semester with a new mindset!

Comments