Unity Tutorial 06

Screenshot of Unity Lesson 3.4
Hey!

This week I finished off lesson 3. This lesson consists of many new functionalities, concepts and skills that would be very useful for my individual endless runner game.


The new functionalities, concepts and skills I learned are as follows:

  • I learned how to play background music during the gameplay.
  • I learned how to apply effects such as particles and explosions. Effects like these can enhance the game play experience as it adds to the visual appeal.
  • I learned how to apply an explosion sound effect when the player crashes into the barrier.
  • I learned a lot of new programming skills.

Overall, I am very satisfied that it turned out the way I wanted it. I feel like the effects and audio/music were a small part of this overall lesson, but it was really effective in the gameplay as it adds emotion and connects people to what they're seeing, this makes the game more engaging for the audience.


Screenshot of Unity Challenge 3


For the Unity challenge this week, I had to fix some errors.

  • I had to fix the player controller code as the player couldn't control the balloon.
  • I had to fix the background as it only moves when the game is over, not during the gameplay. The background also doesn’t repeat itself so I also had to fix that.
  • I had to fix the positioning of the explosion.
  • I had to fix the spawn manager as objects weren’t spawning.

I couldn’t figure out the bonus tasks, but the game still functions the way I want it so I’m satisfied. 


Overall, this challenge was difficult, yet simple at the same time. I felt like I learned a lot from lesson 3 (as a whole) so this challenge was so-so for me to be honest. The challenge also kind of reminded me of the game “Jetpack Joyride” a little bit. I feel more confident in my ability to create this type of game now. I’m ready for lesson 4 next week!

Comments