First Playable

Screenshot of my Game

Hey!


For this week I had to continue working on my game! From the feedback I received last week I was asked to incorporate some of the functionalities, skills and concepts I learned from the last couple of weeks into my own game as my game already came with pre-made scripts, so I re-watched the tutorials from the last couple of weeks to refresh my memory.


The asset I downloaded already came with a script that allowed for a 360 degrees camera rotation. However, I didn’t want this for my game therefore I looked over the unity tutorials from lesson 1.3 (car game) and followed these tutorials. They teach you how to make the camera follow the player in a fixed position, which is what I wanted.


The asset I downloaded also came with a script that allowed for 360 degrees movement. I also didn’t want this as my game is (partly) an endless runner game and not a simulation game so I re-watched these unity tutorials from lesson 1.2 (car game). They teach you how to make the player move forward the moment you press the play button.


It was difficult reading over the pre-made scripts as I did not come across most of the programming language before. It was overwhelming at the start and I didn't know where to begin, but once I just tried to understand what each line of code meant then it wasn’t so bad in the end. Plus I was so thankful that it had comments implemented into them already so it definitely made the process easier. I also had to erase some code that wasn’t necessary and that was interfering with the code I implemented manually.


To conclude, this week’s project task was difficult but a success. I will try to include more functionalities, concepts and skills from the tutorials I’ve already completed. Last week’s unity lesson taught me how to make a sumo battle game. The lesson included tutorials on how to implement power-ups, I feel like this feature would be a cool concept to implement into my game as an experiment! All in all, I’m happy with my progress so far and I’m excited to show you my progress next week!


Next week, I plan to make enemies spawn at different locations and at different times. Lessons 2 and 3 from the unity tutorials look helpful for this.

Comments

  1. Hi Khang, Just looking at your first playable game now and well done!! It looks amazing! The game already looks so professional! I wonder with the for the lives, when the player loses a life in the game will they lose 1 full heart or half a heart. I know some games give you more chances than others to win. I was also thinking what if the player could change skin before the game starts, this could be good to give the player options. Players may even have a "lucky" skin in your game. I wish you all the luck with your game, Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Khang,
    I just finished reading your blog post and your first playable is looking pretty great. It's looking pretty close to something that would be released on a console. I was wondering if the player will be able to choose the weapon they have or if it's just a standard weapon, if it's a case of being able to choose which weapon they use will different weapons be stronger/ weaker against different enemy types. I'm also curious if the player will be given opportunities to regain health or gain extra health or is it a once it's gone it's gone type of situation.
    ~John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment